It has long been known that the majority of the population suffering from varicose veins is female. However, does this mean that male varicose veins are a phrase from the realm of fantasy? At all!
Varicose veins in men on the legs, although they occur somewhat less often than in women, do not cease to be a rather urgent problem and cause serious harm to health.
What is the danger of varicose veins on the legs in men? First of all, the fact that men, unlike the fair sex, do not carefully monitor their appearance and turn a blind eye to many changes (including the appearance of a capillary network).
Indeed, according to them, the world is full of things more important than "nonsense" such as the condition of the skin and blood vessels of the legs!
However, this misconception often leads to very unpleasant consequences!
Symptoms of varicose veins in men are manifested by some characteristic signs, with the appearance of which (several or all together), the patient, unfortunately, is in no hurry to sound the alarm.
As a rule, men tend to cancel the first "bells" - manifestations of varicose veins - in external circumstances (hard work, exhausting training), or even simply continue to live, waving their hand over his health.
So, here are the main signs of varicose veins on the legs of males.
- Increased discomfort (swelling and itching) in the lower limbs.
- Edematous phenomena, especially in the evening, as a consequence of a busy working day.
- Pain symptoms in the place where blood congestion is observed.
- Feeling of "weight on the legs", chronic fatigue in the calf.
Rejection of what is happening, ignoring your unimportant condition, untimely appeal to the doctor can lead to the fact that blood stagnates in the deformed veins, begins to thicken, and there is a risk of thrombus formation. And this is already a serious danger to life!
The causes of varicose veins in men, although similar to "female", still have their specifics.
- Hereditary factor. If your grandparents, dad, siblings have been treated for a venous disease, your risk of developing it is higher than that of those who don't have such a harmful inheritance.
- Middle age, the metabolic processes in the body are gradually decreasing. And blood flow is, first of all, continuity, energy, speed. If the movement of blood in the veins slows down, the chance of swollen leg veins developing increases dramatically.
- Intense workouts in the gym, professional sports that involve heavy lifting and / or constant tension of the calf muscles can cause unpleasant consequences in the form of varicose veins. So, the likelihood of varicose veins on the legs in men - bodybuilders, football players, weightlifters, is, unfortunately, very high.
- Labor activity, in which there is constant tension in the calves of the legs. The military, doctors - surgeons, professional athletes are at risk.
- Lack of exercise in everyday life. To a lesser extent, varicose veins occur in those who, for some reason, do not exercise a lot, do not play sports, spend many hours at the laptop. Programmers, writers, copywriters - at this point we are talking about you!
- Veins can also swell because a man has simply gained a lot of extra pounds, does not control his body weight, being guided by the principle of "a lot and tasty" when he chooses everyday dishes. "Why try to keep fit, because that's the concern of women! " - thinks such a "macho". But in vain! Deterioration in appearance is only a small part of what obesity brings with it. Varicose veins are a faithful companion of excess body weight, and there it is a stone's throw to blood clot formation.
- Long-term hormone therapy. Nothing can be done about it, in the treatment of some serious diseases you have to undergo hormone therapy, the consequences of which are the frequent appearance of varicose veins.
- And finally, harmful addictions: alcohol and tobacco. In those who are fascinated by these habits, the veins can swell much more often. This is due to the fact that both alcohol and tobacco are enemies of strong elastic vessels, as well as direct "provocateurs" of blood thickening.
Therefore, men suffer from venous diseases no less than beautiful women. What should be done, how to treat varicose veins on the legs in men, so that this harmful disease never passes or recedes forever?
Treatment and prevention
Treatment of varicose veins in men, here are the main methods:
- The most effective and efficient way, as always, is not the treatment, but the prevention of varicose veins. Take care of yourself when you are young! Play sports, wisely distributing the load, choosing the type of sport most suitable for your body. Watch your diet. Everything should be in moderation. Remember: anyone who says a man should eat only meat is very wrong! An excess of animal products in the diet is a direct path to the formation of excess cholesterol, which increases the risk of thrombosis many times over.
- Various folk remedies such as compresses, ointments, homemade rubs.
- Another way to treat varicose veins in men is to wear compression underwear, and you should start with preventative grade golf or leggings, gradually increasing the compression class (if needed).
- In addition, moderate physical activity, of course, agreed with a phlebologist, helps to cure varicose veins in men in the early stages. It can be yoga - a complex, jogging for short distances, some types of exercises associated with lifting the lower limbs. Active team games such as soccer, long runs and weight lifting are strictly prohibited.
- Drug therapy is also very useful. Patients are prescribed both venotonics, which strengthens the venous walls, and drugs to thin the blood, often based on aspirin. In addition, with varicose veins, antithrombotic agents are also recommended. Very useful for diseases of the veins and funds based on horse chestnut, which have a complex effect in the form of strengthening the walls of blood vessels and activating venous circulation.
- In the most severe stages of the disease, various types of surgery are used - from minimally invasive - sclerotherapy, phlebectomy, radiation and laser coagulation - to classic surgery associated with the partial or total removal of the affected vessel.
Everyone probably wants to stay healthy for many years. If you belong to such a majority, then for this you should adhere to several principles.
- Keep track of your daily status! Any changes, even at first glance insignificant, can cause the development of a serious disease.
- Change your daily routine and diet. Try to make sure that during the night's sleep, the body gets adequate rest, the diet is balanced and the diet brings only benefits and energy.
- Let physical activity become for you not episodic, but regular. So you can preserve the health of the calves of the legs and venous vessels for many years.
- Give up harmful addictions! Here, perhaps, comments will be superfluous.
- Finally, love yourself! Try to prevent the onset of varicose veins and not fight their unpleasant symptoms. Remember that a healthy body is better than a healed one.