Very often, varicose veins affect the lower limbs, as they experience tremendous stress and are the parts of the body that are furthest away from the heart muscle. Treatment for varicose veins should be started as soon as possible. Treatment of varicose veins on the legs with folk remedies does not replace drugs and surgical treatment, but helps to improve the patient's condition. How to cure varicose veins of the lower limbs using traditional medicine? This question can only be answered by addressing the problem comprehensively.
General information on varicose veins
With varicose veins, the veins are deformed and expanded. The causes of this pathology are excessive physical activity, pregnancy, weight gain, congenital pathologies of the vascular system and a sedentary lifestyle. In this case, the venous outflow of blood is disturbed, as a result of which a change in the configuration of the veins occurs.
The first sign of varicose veins is the vascular network that occurs in the thighs. Another early symptom of the disease is the presence of edema. Since edema can be the result of various diseases of the cardiovascular and urinary systems, it is necessary to exclude its presence.
The most serious symptom of the disease is pain in the lower limbs. It is pulling, aching, often appears after prolonged tension of the leg muscles, in the evening. At night, patients suffer from cramps in the calf muscles and a feeling of heaviness. A clear sign of pathology is the visual identification of the altered veins (thickening, knots, tortuosity).
If you experience these symptoms, you should consult a phlebologist. He will prescribe treatment and provide appropriate recommendations. It is also worth discussing with the doctor the treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies, you can not self-medicate. Traditional medicine offers more than one way to treat this pathology, but only the attending physician can choose the right option, based on diagnostic data and patient complaints. Each person will have their own individual treatment program.
Properties that folk remedies should have
Folk remedies for varicose veins on the legs can have both general and local effects. Herbal treatments are quite versatile and have many uses. But the herbs from varicose veins on the legs must have certain properties:
- the folk remedy for varicose veins based on medicinal plants should improve the condition of the walls of blood vessels;
- medicine is supposed to relieve inflammation;
- contain blood thinners, as they help improve blood flow throughout the body;
- traditional medicine should prevent the formation of blood clots;
- herbs used for varicose veins should have a diuretic effect, this is necessary to reduce tissue swelling.
There are many popular recipes for varicose veins, but they must meet certain requirements so that they can be used at home:
- Herbs used for varicose veins should not have a negative effect on the body.
- The products are easy to use on their own and easy to prepare.
- The herb collection can be stored in the refrigerator for a certain period of time.
- Folk remedies for the treatment of varicose veins are inexpensive.
Traditional methods of treating varicose veins are different, one of them is diet therapy. This type of treatment belongs to the general methods. Patients with varicose veins of the lower extremities are shown a certain diet. And before starting the treatment of varicose veins on the legs with folk remedies, it is necessary to observe the so-called unloading diet.
Baked goods and confectionery, meat, fish, caffeine and alcoholic beverages should be excluded from the diet. The diet should be dominated by fruits and vegetables. Two days later buckwheat and rice cereals are introduced.
It is recommended to use this diet every month for 2 or 3 days.
General treatment methods
For the treatment of varicose veins, general methods are used (baths, infusions, decoctions, tinctures) that help improve blood circulation and have a positive effect on the body as a whole.
How to treat this disease with baths? First you need to familiarize yourself with the contraindications:
- Trophic ulcers.
The bathrooms can be shared or foot baths. The water temperature should not exceed 39 degrees (that is, when checking the temperature, the hand must resist). It is worth taking a bath for 30-40 minutes.
Medicinal plants such as chamomile, hazelnut (leaves), pine (buds), clover, willow and oak (twigs) help against varicose veins.
You can use baking soda for the bathroom. A full bath will require a standard pack of baking soda, and to prepare a foot bath, you need to take 6 liters of water and 7–8 tablespoons of baking soda.
A bath of willow, duda and chestnut twigs, as well as twine herb, chamomile or St. John's wort has a good healing effect. You need to take 0. 5 kilograms of twigs and boil them for 30 minutes. Thereafter, medicinal herbs must be added to this solution (4 packs). This medicinal broth is infused overnight.
A willow twig bath is done very simply, you need two handfuls of twigs for three liters of water, boil the composition for 30 minutes.
Baths for varicose veins of the legs are treated for a long time, for several months.
After the baths, it is recommended to do a light foot massage, starting from the bottom and working upwards. Then it is necessary to wear compression underwear and give the legs an elevated position.
We treat varicose veins with folk remedies, what herbs to drink? Treatment of varicose veins with herbs is also carried out using dosage forms for oral administration. The easiest way to make a decoction at home is with a thermos. Filter it before use.
To thin the blood for varicose veins, use:
- Horse chestnut fruit.You need to take 50 grams of fruit peel and 0, 5 liters of vodka. The tincture is stored in a dark place for 14 days. A tincture is used a teaspoon before meals with water.
- Sweet cloveris a good anticoagulant, but should be used with caution and after consulting a doctor. An infusion or tea can be prepared from this medicinal plant.
- White Willow(bark) promotes blood thinning thanks to its salicin content. You can make tea from the bark.
The soda solution is taken by mouth. For 200 milliliters of hot water, you need to take a teaspoon of baking soda. It is worth drinking the solution in the morning and before bedtime.
Nettle tea. For half a liter of boiling water, take 3 tablespoons of dried nettle leaves. Insist the tea for 30-40 minutes, after which you can drink it (after meals, 80-100 milliliters).
Garlic with honey is a good remedy for this pathology. Honey - 350 grams and garlic - 250 grams are crushed, mixed and infused for 10 days. The remedy is used 30 minutes before meals, one tablespoon.
Local treatment of varicose veins
In this case, the therapeutic effect is directed only at the pathologically altered veins. At home you can prepare a cream, lotions, compresses, ointment.
Various juices are used in the treatment:
- Potato juice helps in the treatment of ulcers. Grate the potatoes on a fine grater to get a pasty mass. This mass is applied to the altered areas of the skin, a bandage must be applied to it. You need to change this compression every 5 hours.
- Apple cider vinegar helps to improve the tone of the vascular walls, it is applied to the affected areas with varicose veins twice a day (morning and evening).
- Cabbage juice has anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. A white cabbage leaf is best applied to the limb at night.
- Compress with tomatoes. Tomato (necessarily green) is cut into slices, which are lined with pathologically altered veins. They are fixed on the limb with a bandage. Change the compress after 4 hours.
- Lotions with hops. Hop cones in the amount of 1 tablespoon are poured with 200 milliliters of boiling water and insist. Lotions are made with the resulting infusion.
Tinctures for the treatment of varicose veins:
- Alcoholic tincture with Kalanchoe. The leaves should be cut from the plant and kept cold for a week. Then these leaves are crushed (passed through a meat grinder) and poured with vodka. The composition is infused for seven days. The tincture should be filtered and stored in the refrigerator.
- Chopped green walnuts are infused with olive oil. The composition remains in the sun for 40 days, after which it can be applied topically.
- The leaves and inflorescences of horse chestnut are prepared like tea with boiling water and compresses are prepared.
- Alcoholic tincture with birch buds and white acacia flowers is infused for 7 days. It is used to apply to irritated areas of the skin.
You can even make an ointment for varicose veins at home. Herbal remedies in the form of ointments penetrate very well under the skin and eliminate the symptoms of the disease. Fat of animal (chicken) and vegetable (vegetable oils) origin is used as the basis for the preparation of such dosage form. Highly concentrated decoctions of medicinal herbs are added to the dissolved base. Combine all the ingredients, keeping them on low heat for 5 minutes.
The following medicinal herbs can be added to the base of the ointment: chamomile, eucalyptus, lemon balm, fir, celandine, calendula. You can use one component or a combination of several herbs.
Homemade ointment should be stored in the refrigerator to avoid spoilage. Such a remedy is applied to the skin in a dense layer, it must be rubbed into the skin. In addition to the ointment, it is necessary to apply special (compressed) paper and a bandage. It is more advisable to make such a compress before bedtime.
The alternative treatment also has a sufficient number of contraindications and side effects. If a person has diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, then he must be careful with oral medications. All solutions are quite concentrated, so they can lead to an exacerbation of the chronic pathology of the digestive tract.
Natural remedies can lead to allergic reactions (urticaria, Quincke's edema, anaphylactic shock). When the first signs of allergy appear, it is necessary to stop taking medications and consult a specialist.
The wrong intake or preparation of medicines can lead to poisoning in some cases.
Prevention of varicose veins
- Physical education plays an important role in the treatment and prevention of this disease. Moderate exercise is indicated for people prone to developing varicose veins, as well as in the presence of symptoms of the disease. Walking, running, and swimming can help improve blood circulation. In this case, walking 3 kilometers or more is an excellent preventative measure.
- You should pay close attention to nutrition. The diet should be rich in fruits and vegetables, foods rich in phosphorus, B vitamins and potassium. Cherries can help prevent blood clots from forming, so you should include them in your daily diet.
- Refusal of bad habits and heavy foods (fatty, spicy, fried foods).
- A contrast shower improves vascular tone.
- Rest on your feet, wearing comfortable shoes. At the end of the day, the legs should be allowed to rest, after a contrast shower, it is necessary to give the legs an elevated position.